March 28, 2005

Sheepshead Galore

Date Fished: 03/26/05 Water Temperature: 65 Water Clarity: Murky


Me, Brian, Weston, and Levar headed out to Fish Pass around 6:30 in the morning to see what was going on. Much to our dismay the North Jetty was extremely crowded with people fishing but we decided to try it out anyway. While walking to the end I saw someone with a rod bent over like crazy. By the time we got out there we saw him landing a really nice size Bonnethead Shark (around 3 1/2 feet). We took a spot on the left side and began fishing but because it was so crowded we were really in bad position to catch any fish. Another guy at the end connects and at this point I was starting to get pissed. We were 30 minutes into fishing with live shrimp and none of us have got a single bite. I put my rod down and go to watch the guy with a fish on fight. After a good solid 20 mintues I see a monster drum rolling over about 30 yards out. It was huge. The guy ends up landing it, it is 40 inches on the dot and weighs around 40 lbs. We still haven't got a single bite so we decided to move to the south jetty, which was less crowded, and try our luck. We make the walk over there and get a good spot towards the front of the jetty. We can still see people on the north jetty ripping it up and again we are getting no bites. Finally I look over and see Brian going crazy trying to reel in something. I grabbed the net and helped him land a really nice sized Sheepshead. A few mintues later a feel a tug and hook into an even nicer Sheepshead. Levar was soon to follow and Weston just decided to give up fishing and help net and keep the bait fresh while messing out on the jettys for the rest of the time we were there. We had the usual: a couple of break-offs, a couple lost in the rocks, a couple of "rock fish", one the I netted and then flopped out back into the water... But overall it was a really good day. Levar and I managed 16 nice sized Sheepshead and a drum each for a total of 18 fish. The hardest part of the day was carrying the ice chest back to the car... I bet it weighed a good 150 lbs or more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lonestar Anglerâ„¢ said...

kickass man--Glad Brian got a good one!

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home